New England Boiled Dinner
I enjoy fixing this dish on chilly days. I also use this recipe on St. Patrick's Day since all the ingredients are appropriate for that traditional meal.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 corned beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 6 medium carrots
- 1 to 2 medium turnips, quartered
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into quarters
- Place brisket and enclosed seasoning packet in Dutch oven with enough
- water to cover. Simmer, covered, about 1 hour. Add bacon; simmer 1
- to 1-1/2 hours longer or until beef is tender.
- Remove brisket from Dutch oven and keep warm. Discard bacon; strain
- stock. Return stock to Dutch oven. Add carrots and turnips; simmer
- for 10 minutes Add potatoes and onions; simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Add cabbage, simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Return
- brisket to stock; heat through. Place meat on a large platter with
- vegetables around it. Yield: 8-10 servings.