- 1 corned beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 6 medium carrots
- 1 to 2 medium turnips, quartered
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into quarters
- Place brisket and enclosed seasoning packet in Dutch oven with enough water to cover. Simmer, covered, about 1 hour. Add bacon; simmer 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until beef is tender.
- Remove brisket from Dutch oven and keep warm. Discard bacon; strain stock. Return stock to Dutch oven. Add carrots and turnips; simmer for 10 minutes Add potatoes and onions; simmer for 15 minutes more. Add cabbage, simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Return brisket to stock; heat through. Place meat on a large platter with vegetables around it. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for New England Boiled Dinner
Sort By :
"This dinner brings back memories-when I was a kid we ate it often as we grew everything in the garden except the meat and instead of corned beef brisket we used pork-either loin or butt-I preferred the butt roast as it was more moist. So delicious. Right now pork is less expensive than beef-so might want to try it."
"Thank you for this recipe, I am a Northern Wisconsin,transplanted to the south and it is impossible to find this recipe in the south.Even though I have been here sence 1962 I do miss some of our great "Yankee" cooking. Thanks so much."
"Made this for years. Just cook corned beef until tender than throw in veggies. Instead of turnips I use frozen corn on the cob halves. Can also add celery. Delicious and just one pot clean up. Broth can be used to make a great base for soup."