- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, syrup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid; place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in onion mixture and bacon. Cover and bake at 300° for 2-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add reserved cooking liquid as needed. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Reviews for New England Baked Beans
Sort By :
"This recipe was way,way too sweet. You could not taste anything else but that. I would say cut all sugar, molasses and syrup in half."
"Congratulations - finally a baked bean recipe that starts with dried beans and not one that uses canned baked beans! Very good!"
"Based on previous comments, I reduced the brown sugar to 1 c. Still too sweet for our family! Although, overall had a really good flavor. Next time, will play with reducing the brown sugar just a little more and/or replacing half of the ketchup with tomato sauce and see if that suits our taste a little better."
"So delicious. Tastes like my grandmother's."
"I made these in the slow cooker with great results."