We once lived next to an apple orchard and used the fresh fruit to make lots of delicious applesauce. This is my own recipe, and people have been telling me for years that it's so good it should be published!
- 4 pounds Rome Beauty or McIntosh apples
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons grenadine syrup, optional
- Peel, core and cut apples into wedges. In a large kettle, combine all ingredients except grenadine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until apples are fork-tender.
- Mash apples to a chunky texture or process with food mill for smooth sauce. Stir in grenadine if desired. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as New England Applesauce in Country Extra November 1990, p47
Reviews for New England Applesauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review