Never-Fail Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1-3/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 5 medium)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- In a small nonstick skillet, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until blended.
- Place half of the potatoes in a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; layer with half of the onion and cheese sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Never-Fail Scalloped Potatoes(42)
Sort By :
Loved this recipe! So simple but so delicious! Loved the addition of the sliced onion in this dish and the subtleness of the cheese.
Very good! It took a little longer to bake than stated, but very good! I made it as stated.
What a wonderful recipe! I did a few things different and I would do it again! Instead of fat-free milk, I used 1% milk and instead of reduced-fat cheese, I used Velveeta cheese. I was looking for a recipe that was similar to my Aunt's, for Easter, and I feel that I have found one that was a lot easier and even better. I did double the recipe as well to make an even bigger batch, luckily for me have a Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline Slicer so slicing potatoes was easy for me. During our Easter lunch, my sister, who is the pickiest eater in the family, turned to me and said, "Please tell me there are more potatoes upstairs because these are so good!". Overall, this recipe was a success in my book and is one that I will keep! Thanks!
excelent dish ! one of my new favorites , thank you
I had the same thing happen to me last Christmas. I'll tell you what I did wrong---I made the dish the day before but I did not bake it . I wanted to have more time for my guests so did the prep the day before, put it in the fridge over night, and what a shock when I removed the foil and saw BLACK POTATOES. Air had gotten to them and turned them black. That is one mistake I won't make again.
More Recipe Collections
- Au Gratin Potatoes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Scalloped Potato >