- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1-3/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 5 medium)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- In a small nonstick skillet, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until blended.
- Place half of the potatoes in a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; layer with half of the onion and cheese sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Never-Fail Scalloped Potatoes
"I found this needs the sauce doubled and a longer cooking time,but get that right and these always get rave reviews! It's my go-to scalloped tater recipe."
"Easy to make and very good. My family loved them. Warm, comfort food."
"A real winner! This was a very easy recipe to follow and prepare. Only adjustment I would recommend is to "make more". The leftovers were just as good as the first day."
"This is simple and delicious and oh so creamy. I threw in some Velveeta cheese cubes instead of the cheddar cheese. Yummy!"
"Oh my goodness, this recipe is delish ! Doubled the sauce and then added 1/2 cup more milk. For cheese try some grated pepper jack along with cheddar, it's not too spicy hot. I always par-boil my potato slices first and saute' the onions, well worth the extra touches. This goes well with a meatloaf or ham, even pork chops or roast, just add a green vege or salad. Double the recipe for left-overs they are even good with scrambled eggs for breaky."
"Great for large gatherings Bland yes but added a package of hidden valley ranch mix and perked up the flavor !"
"Scalloped potatoes are made without cheese, I may never find a TRUE scalloped potatoe recipe"
"made per directions and was very bland needs something to spice it up it tasted like flour to me, I even added extra onions and cheese and pepper, will not make again unless I can figure out what to add to make it more tastee."
"Very delicious! Will make again!"