- Drain potatoes; mash with garlic powder and remaining salt and
- pepper. Shape 2 tablespoons potatoes into a patty; place a heaping
- tablespoonful of filling in the center. Shape potatoes around
- filling, forming a ball. Repeat.
- Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip potato
- balls in the eggs, then roll in bread crumbs. In an electric skillet
- or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry potato balls, a few at a
- time, for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Editor's Note: Instead of frying the papas rellenas, you may place them on baking sheets and bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutritional Facts: 3 papas rellenas equals 224 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 615 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.