Neighborhood Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let soak for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan; add broth, 3 cups water, ham bone, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, carrots and celery in oil until tender; add to soup. Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes longer or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone; cool slightly. Remove meat from bone and cut into chunks; return to soup. Discard bone. Skim fat from soup. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Neighborhood Bean Soup
Sort By :
"Great way to use up leftover ham. Soup was really filling and tasty."
"This is a really good recipe!! I just did a couple of things different. I did not use chicken broth but water instead because I used a ham bone from christmas that I froze and my family is on a reduced sodium diet so I tried to reduce the sodium. Also, I did not sauté the onions and carrots , I just put them in the soup and cooked it for 25 minutes and the carrots and onions came out just right, not mushy. Thanks for the recipe. Will definitely be making this again :-)"
"we make this recipe every time we have had ham on the bone. You have to use the leftover ham bone and make this meaty soup, but we do add more carrots and celery. Add cornbread for the side and it's complete."
"The only one I make now"
"Delicious! I use the ham bone left over from the honey baked ham. Takes it to another level!"