Neighborhood Bean Soup Recipe
Neighborhood Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let soak for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan; add broth, 3 cups water, ham bone, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, carrots and celery in oil until tender; add to soup. Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes longer or until beans are tender.
- 4. Remove ham bone; cool slightly. Remove meat from bone and cut into chunks; return to soup. Discard bone. Skim fat from soup. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 203 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 1,001 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Neighborhood Bean Soup
Sort By :
"This is a great bean soup. I used a smoked ham and it really brought out the flavor. I will definitely make this again."
"This is hands down the best bean soup recipe I have ever made/tasted. I made a few changes. I discarded the bone and the ham attached to it and added fresh leftover ham at the end. I used a potato masher and mashed beans and vegetables slightly then added instant mashed potatoes to thicken it a bit. Served this soup with shredded cheddar and a bit of sour cream on top. Delicious! Also very good with chopped raw onion on the top. I have printed out this recipe for all my friends."
"Wonderful delicious bean soup. Worth the time to make it. A big hit every time I make it."
"Great way to use up leftover ham. Soup was really filling and tasty."
"This is a really good recipe!! I just did a couple of things different. I did not use chicken broth but water instead because I used a ham bone from christmas that I froze and my family is on a reduced sodium diet so I tried to reduce the sodium. Also, I did not sauté the onions and carrots , I just put them in the soup and cooked it for 25 minutes and the carrots and onions came out just right, not mushy. Thanks for the recipe. Will definitely be making this again :-)"
"we make this recipe every time we have had ham on the bone. You have to use the leftover ham bone and make this meaty soup, but we do add more carrots and celery. Add cornbread for the side and it's complete."
"The only one I make now"
"Delicious! I use the ham bone left over from the honey baked ham. Takes it to another level!"
"This is really excellent. My husband loves it. I used homemade chicken stock."
"My other half says it is the BEST I or he has EVER made."
"Great bean soup recipe. It took time (what bean soup doesn't???) so I cooked in advance when I had time over the weekend."
"Takes time to make but is so delicious and filling."
"This is a great recipe... the whole family loves it! It takes me back to grandma's house."
"One of my husband's all time favorites. Easy to make and perfect every time. Filling comfort food at it's best."
"Had a fairly meaty hambone leftover from a nephew's wedding that I used for this soup. It is fantastic! After chilling I scraped the solidified fat off the top to lighten it up a bit."
"Absolutely delicious!! My husband and I greatly enjoyed this satisfying and tasty soup."
"This is the best bean soup I have ever tried"
"I love this soup; unfortunately, my husband is not as enthusiastic about it."
"I have made this soup and it is delicious. I plan on making it for New Years Eve."
"One of the best tasting soups I have ever tasted!"
"i have tasted a lot of bean soup in my time but this is absolutely outstanding. My family hates bean soup but fell in love with this one. Thanks for publishing it."
"This soup is very good. I added two cloves of chopped garlic when I added the vegetables and I think that made it taste even better!"
"This is the best bean soup recipe!! It doesn't come out as good with the ham hocks.icnrn68"
"My family loves this recipe! I would not change one thing about it."
"Although this was very good, I missed the tomatoes."