VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium nectarines, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a food processor, combine the first five ingredients; cover and process until smooth.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in nectarine mixture and bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle hen with salt and pepper. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill hen, covered, over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180°, turning and basting occasionally with sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Nectarine Barbecued Cornish Hen in Country Woman August/September 2010, p45