- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place 1-3/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Heat the milk, water and shortening to 120°-130°. Pour over flour mixture; add the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat 3 additional minutes on high. Stir in the remaining flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the cabbage, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper; cook until cabbage is wilted.
- Punch dough down; divide into 12 portions and cover with plastic wrap. Working with one piece at a time, roll into a 6-in. square. Place 3/4 cup meat mixture in the center of each square. Fold dough over filling, forming a rectangle. Pinch edges tightly to seal and place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Nebraska's Stuffed Beef Sandwiches
Sort By :
"I have not used THIS recipe but make these all the time. This IS a Runza, cjt420, and the Runza restaurant sandwiches are just mediocre, anyway."
"Nothing is quite as good as a Runza, but this comes pretty darn close. I grew up in Nebraska and still have to get my "fix" whenever I am there."
"These were great and remind me of my college years at UNL!"