Neapolitan Cookies Recipe
"My sister shared the recipe for these thin tri-color treats several years ago," relates Jan Mallo of White Pigeon, Michigan. "The crisp cookies are fun to eat - one section at a time or with all three in one bite."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:72 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red liquid food coloring
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1. Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- 2. Divide the dough into thirds. Add almond extract and food coloring to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan.
- 3. Add nuts to second portion; spread evenly over first layer.
- 4. Add melted chocolate to third portion; spread over second layer.
- 5. Cover with waxed paper; refrigerate overnight.
- 6. Unwrap dough; cut loaf in half lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/8-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 12 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 63 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 51 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC