Neapolitan Cookies Recipe
"My sister shared the recipe for these thin tri-color treats several years ago," relates Jan Mallo of White Pigeon, Michigan. "The crisp cookies are fun to eat - one section at a time or with all three in one bite."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops food coloring
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1. Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper, letting ends extend up sides. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- 2. Divide dough into three portions. Mix almond extract and food coloring into one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Mix walnuts into another portion; spread evenly over first layer. Mix melted chocolate into remaining portion; spread over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Lifting with waxed paper, remove dough from pan. Cut lengthwise in half; cut each half crosswise into 1/8-in. slices.
- 4. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 11 dozen.
1 cookie equals 35 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC