- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper, letting ends extend up sides. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into three portions. Mix almond extract and food coloring into one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Mix walnuts into another portion; spread evenly over first layer. Mix melted chocolate into remaining portion; spread over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lifting with waxed paper, remove dough from pan. Cut lengthwise in half; cut each half crosswise into 1/8-in. slices.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 11 dozen.
Reviews for Neapolitan Cookies
"Very good taste. Did not get 11 dozen with slicing. Will make again!"
"Only made about 3 dozen cookies. I cut mine in half, maybe I should have cut in thirds. I refrigerated my dough overnight, but the cookies spread. Taste good but I don't like how they look. I think I'll drizzle them with white chocolate."
"These are my favorite cookies!! So delicious and pretty on a cookie tray. Sometimes I use cherry extract instead of the almond."
"Great cookies. You have to cut them very thin to get the stated amount. I added peppermint flavoring to the red and Fruity Pebbles to the white to make Christmas cookies."
"These cookies are great when you need a lot of cookies and don't have much time. They are easy, and tasty. I sometimes add a little raspberry or strawberry extract along with the red food coloring for a different taste"