Navy Bean Vegetable Soup Recipe
"My family likes bean soup, so I came up with this hearty version," reports Eleanor Mielke. The Mitchell, South Dakota reader says leftovers freeze well for first-rate future meals.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 9 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups dried navy beans
- 1 envelope vegetable recipe mix (Knorr)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups water
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Stir in water. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 157 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 763 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC