Navy Bean Stew Recipe
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. In same pan, bring the water and soaked beans to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, onion, carrots, corn, parsley, Italian seasoning and beans. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving equals 321 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 787 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.