Navy Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1. Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add the water, ham hocks, onion, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- 3. Add the carrots, celery and potato flakes; mix well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Set side ham hocks until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut into bite-size pieces. Return meat to Dutch oven; heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 296 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 9g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Navy Bean Soup
"delicious and hearty"
"This was the best bean soup we have ever eaten!"
"Very flavorful soup and easy to make! I can't wait to make it again! It was delicious!"