My niece gave me this hearty recipe. It came from a Native American friend of hers in Eufaula, Oklahoma.Robin Wells, Tulsa, Oklahoma
10-12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + rising Cook: 45 min.
- 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound hot bulk pork sausage
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chopped tomato
- Finely chopped onion
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Taco sauce
- Allow dough to rise. Meanwhile, for filling, cook beef and sausage in
- a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco
- seasoning, beans and water. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until the water
- is almost evaporated; set aside.
- After dough rises, punch down. Make tortillas by dividing dough onto
- 10 to 12 equal balls. Using a small amount of flour, roll each ball
- into an 8-in. circle (tortillas should be thin).
- Fry each tortilla in 1/4-in. hot oil until golden brown, turning
- once. Drain tortillas on paper towels; keep warm. Top each tortilla