Navajo Tacos Recipe
- 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound hot bulk pork sausage
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chopped tomato
- Finely chopped onion
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Taco sauce
- 1. Allow dough to rise. Meanwhile, for filling, cook beef and sausage in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, beans and water. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until the water is almost evaporated; set aside.
- 2. After dough rises, punch down. Make tortillas by dividing dough onto 10 to 12 equal balls. Using a small amount of flour, roll each ball into an 8-in. circle (tortillas should be thin).
- 3. Fry each tortilla in 1/4-in. hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Drain tortillas on paper towels; keep warm. Top each tortilla with meat mixture, tomato, onion, lettuce, cheese and taco sauce. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Navajo Tacos
"I have used this recipe a long time ago but can't find it until now..this is a great meal and really not that hard to make."
"this isn't to far off from what I grew up on it's a traditional recipe not everyone makes it the same every family has there own secret.... *proud native indian*"
"This is reminiscent of tacos I had as a kid before manufactured tortillas were easy to find. Naturally I really, really like this recipe! But even better than that, my family thinks it is special when I make Navajo Tacos."
"Looks like something my adult sons would like, "
"I love this recipe i changed it up a little bit. Very good though:)"