Navajo Tacos Recipe
My niece gave me this hearty recipe. It came from a Native American friend of hers in Eufaula, Oklahoma.—Robin Wells, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound hot bulk pork sausage
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chopped tomato
- Finely chopped onion
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Taco sauce
- 1. Allow dough to rise. Meanwhile, for filling, cook beef and sausage in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, beans and water. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until the water is almost evaporated; set aside.
- 2. After dough rises, punch down. Make tortillas by dividing dough onto 10 to 12 equal balls. Using a small amount of flour, roll each ball into an 8-in. circle (tortillas should be thin).
- 3. Fry each tortilla in 1/4-in. hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Drain tortillas on paper towels; keep warm. Top each tortilla with meat mixture, tomato, onion, lettuce, cheese and taco sauce. Yield: 10-12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC