Navajo Fry Bread Recipe
After enjoying "Navajo tacos" in a restaurant in Window Rock, Arizona, I went home and came up with this recipe. Our daughter's school roommate, a Navajo Indian, helped my improve the fry bread. I've served this often-both at home and on the ranch where I work-and everyone loves it!
- FRY BREAD:
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- TACO FILLING:
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Shredded lettuce
- Mix dry ingredients; cut in shortening as for pastry. Add water gradually, mixing to form a firm ball. Divide into 12 balls; let rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Roll each ball into 6-in. circle. Cut 1/2-in.-diameter hole in center of each circle.
- Heat 1 in. oil in Dutch oven to 400°. Slip each circle into oil; fry each side for 1 minute or until puffed and golden. Drain; serve warm with butter, honey and fresh lemon juice.
- To make taco, cook the beef, onion and seasonings over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans; cook 5 minutes. Place fry bread on a baking pan; spread each bread with 1/2 cup taco mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and chilies.
- Bake at 350° until cheese is melted. Serve with lettuce, tomato and salsa. Yield: 12 fry breads.
Originally published as Navajo Fry Bread in Country February/March 1990, p51
Reviews for Navajo Fry Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Bread Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Mexican Bread Recipes >