Nativity Molasses Cookies
You'll have seasonal spirit well in hand when you cut out these chewy cookies in lamb, camel, star, angel and other Nativity-themed shapes. A simple, homemade white icing is the perfect finishing touch.
60 ServingsPrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolk, water and molasses. Combine the flour, baking
- soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to creamed
- mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until
- easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness.