My mother taught me to make these rich, delicious bar cookies when I was young. Though I've tried many variations, I always come back to this old favorite.
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from the heat; blend in sugar, cocoa, vanilla, egg, crumbs and coconut. Also add nuts if desired. Press into a 9-in. square pan. In a small bowl, cream 1/4 cup butter, pudding mix, milk and sugar. Spread over crumb layer; chill. Melt chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter; spread over pudding layer. Chill before cutting into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Nanaimo Bars in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p26
Reviews for Nanaimo Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review