Nana's Chilies Rellenos
This zesty dish is not for the faint of heart. My family has been enjoying it for three generations...and will be doing so for years to come!
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 can (27 ounces) whole green chilies, drained
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Slice chilies in half and remove seeds. Arrange half of the chilies
- in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with shredded
- cheddar cheese. Cover with remaining chilies. In a small bowl, whisk
- the eggs, milk and flour until smooth; pour over cheese. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce and taco seasoning; pour over
- casserole. Carefully place cheese cubes on top in a checkerboard
- pattern; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until top is set. Let stand
- for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.