Nana's Chilies Rellenos Recipe
This zesty dish is not for the faint of heart. My family has been enjoying it for three generations...and will be doing so for years to come!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 can (27 ounces) whole green chilies, drained
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1. Slice chilies in half and remove seeds. Arrange half of the chilies in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with remaining chilies. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and flour until smooth; pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce and taco seasoning; pour over casserole. Carefully place cheese cubes on top in a checkerboard pattern; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until top is set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC