My True Love Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in water and oil until smooth.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. heart-shaped baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Beat in cream and extract. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with half of cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Top with 1 cup pie filling and second cake; spread with remaining cream cheese mixture. Make a heart-shaped indentation in center of cake; fill with remaining pie filling. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for My True Love Cake(6)
Sort By :
I love this cake as well it just adds a bit of charm for that special someone. I also tried it with banana and took off the can cherries and dipped chocolate bananas and it was a hit
This cake is delicious!!! I reduced the sugar in the cake to 1 1/2 cups, and it still tasted marvelous! It has a wonderful, light vanilla-chocolate flavor! I didn't make the frosting recipe since we didn't have cream or cream cheese, so I just used half of a simple buttercream frosting recipe instead. I also used light cherry pie filling. Tasted wonderful! I used a 9 x 13 inch heart shaped pan and had to bake it almost twice as long, but it still turned out great! I just split it into two layers. I would definitely recommend making this; it not only tastes great but looks perfect for Valentine's Day!
I've made this recipe several times and we just love it.
I made this cake for my 3rd wedding anniversary & my husband loved it! It taste like cherry cheesecake to me! I will be making this on Valentines day for years to come....starting next year when our son is older so he will have a Valentine's day tradition since we have one for every other holiday! This is an amazing recipe, kudos to the chef!! :)
I've made this every Valentine's Day since it first appeared on the back cover. Although I make it with strawberries and have cheated by using a boxed mix, the family loves it!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- German Desserts >