My Take on Mom's Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 medium fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Barbecue sauce, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Drizzle with barbecue sauce if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
2 slices (calculated without barbecue sauce) equals 264 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.