My Mother's Mac and Cheese
I remember my mother sending me to the store for "15¢ worth of store cheese". The butcher would cut off a slice from a gigantic round of cheese covered with a wax-coated cloth. Mother would then blend that cheese into this tasty dish. Today, the memory of Mother's cooking is like food for my soul.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine macaroni, tomatoes, onion salt, pepper and 1-1/2
- cups cheddar cheese. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with
- butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with
- remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 373 calories, 22 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 759 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.