- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine macaroni, tomatoes, onion salt, pepper and 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for My Mother's Mac and Cheese
Sort By :
"I have made this 4-5 times. Sometimes I change up the cheese and use cheddar-jack and tomatoes with jalapenos. It does not get hot but gives it a little kick. Love it!"
"My family enjoyed it, especially my two year old son. Next time, I would add more cheddar cheese though. It was really good, the tomatoes went well with the mac and cheese."
"My 5 year old son loved it, but I thought it was bland, tasteless, and pretty gross. It did get him to eat tomatoes, which has been difficult. The bottom part was soggy and the top part was so crispy it was almost burnt. I made with 12 ounces of whole wheat elbows, home canned gold tomatoes, and Tillamook cheddar cheese."
"This is great! Brings me back, my grandmother always put sliced tomatoes on the top of her mac & cheese recipe. Love it!!!"
"I enjoyed this recipe and would make it again. 2 cups dry macaroni!"