- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine macaroni, tomatoes, onion salt, pepper and 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for My Mother's Mac and Cheese
"I made this a few months ago so I'm not sure if I changed anything but I'm pretty sure I did not. With that said, I can say that it was good (I'm the only one in my house that likes Mac & Cheese that DOES NOT come from a box) but I don't think it was my favorite. I think it was the tomatoes as one of the ingredients that I did not like. Thanks for sharing as I do love to try new things!!"
"Thank you for the memories Phyllis, and for sharing this great recipe, I melted the cheese and then stirred it into the pasta before baking."
"Bland. Needs flavor!"
"Terrible. Tasteless. Macaroni bakes to inedible bits on top. Won't ever make again"
"This was the best! My other Mac & Cheese recipes are gone. I did change it by shredding longhorn Colby cheese instead but I am sure it would be just as good with cheddar cheese. I wanted to use some of the other reviewers suggestions because I remember my Mom making something like this with hamburger. Thanks for the recipe!"