I remember my mother sending me to the store for "15¢ worth of store cheese". The butcher would cut off a slice from a gigantic round of cheese covered with a wax-coated cloth. Mother would then blend that cheese into this tasty dish. Today, the memory of Mother's cooking is like food for my soul. — Phyllis Burkland, Portland, Oregon
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine macaroni, tomatoes, onion salt, pepper and 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as My Mother's Mac and Cheese in Reminisce May/June 1993, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for My Mother's Mac and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review