- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine macaroni, tomatoes, onion salt, pepper and 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for My Mother's Mac and Cheese
Sort By :
"FANTASTIC is the only word to describe this dish! Wished I could have given it 10 stars. I made a few changes for health reasons, used whole wheat pasta, reduced fat Italian shredded cheese, substituted garlic salt for onion salt, added garlic powder. Once in the oven for 45 min. Browned 2 cups of seasoned Panko crumbs with 1 TBL. of butter and 1 TBL. of olive oil in a pan. sprinkled on top of the casserole and baked it for another 15 min.Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us all."
"this may be it! I really hope this is the recipe that my husband's grandmother used to make. We (in our family) look at him like "TOMATOES IN YOUR MAC-N-CHEESE???!!!" ...but he grew up with this being the "best" and unfortunately, the recipe passed away with his grandmother. I'm going to try to surprise him with this for Thanksgiving. Really hope this is the one."
"This recipe was a winner! My husband really liked it and I will definitely be making this again."
"This was a great dish. When I first saw the ingredients I was sure it was going to be dry but it was not. I made one change I used diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano it gave it a little more flavor, next time I am going to add some type of meat. My husband the cook said this was a keeper he had some good ideas. Will make I again and post the additions."
"This is magic, so much better than that boring list of ingredients."