- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine macaroni, tomatoes, onion salt, pepper and 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for My Mother's Mac and Cheese
"I found it was better to cover it for the first 30 mins of bake time to keep the top from getting hard and to use garlic powder instead of onion powder. And i always add extra cheese, but it is a good base recipe to start with"
"Why would you not make a recipe and then give it a one star? That is rude."
"I confess to not making this yet. I only wanted to comment on the author's description "the memory of Mother's cooking is like food for my soul." So lovely a thought, and one that I think most of us who love cooking can embrace. May you all always make good food, and good memories, for your own children."
"I didn't make it, full of yellow coloring"
"My mother, grandmother and now I make this mac and cheese for years, if you love tomatoes and cheese you will love this. I use white american cheese in stead of cheddar , thats the way my husband and I like it the best."
"I made this a few months ago so I'm not sure if I changed anything but I'm pretty sure I did not. With that said, I can say that it was good (I'm the only one in my house that likes Mac & Cheese that DOES NOT come from a box) but I don't think it was my favorite. I think it was the tomatoes as one of the ingredients that I did not like. Thanks for sharing as I do love to try new things!!"
"Bland. Needs flavor!"
"Terrible. Tasteless. Macaroni bakes to inedible bits on top. Won't ever make again"