- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine macaroni, tomatoes, onion salt, pepper and 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for My Mother's Mac and Cheese
Sort By :
"My 5 year old son loved it, but I thought it was bland, tasteless, and pretty gross. It did get him to eat tomatoes, which has been difficult. The bottom part was soggy and the top part was so crispy it was almost burnt. I made with 12 ounces of whole wheat elbows, home canned gold tomatoes, and Tillamook cheddar cheese."
"This is great! Brings me back, my grandmother always put sliced tomatoes on the top of her mac & cheese recipe. Love it!!!"
"I enjoyed this recipe and would make it again. 2 cups dry macaroni!"
"This sounds wonderful - and adding tomatoes to mac & cheese would give it a new flavor. I must try it! Question: Is it two cups of elbow macaroni before or after cooking?"
"Recipe states to "pour into a 2 quart baking dish," which would be equivalent to an 8x8 cake pan. Photo shows what appears to be a 13x9x2 casserole, which would hold between 14-15 quarts. I'm making it tonight and will use whichever pan looks best!"