My Mom's Meat Loaf Wellington Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 package (17.30 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- MADEIRA SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Dash cloves
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or beef broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs, ketchup, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Sprinkle with onion and bread crumbs; mix gently. Shape into two loaves, about 9 in. x 3 in.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet into an 18-in. x 16-in. rectangle. Invert meat loaves and place in center of each pastry; fold short sides of pastry over loaf. Fold long sides over loaf and pastry; seal seams.
- 3. Place, seam side down, on a rack in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Beat remaining egg; brush over pastry. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
- 4. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Stir in the consomme, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, browning sauce if desired and cloves. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in wine or broth.
- 5. In a small skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender. Serve the mushrooms and sauce with meat loaf slices. Yield: 2 meat loaves (5-6 servings each) and about 2-1/2 cups sauce.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 481 calories, 26 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 1,014 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for My Mom's Meat Loaf Wellington
"I was one of those patrons at the Taste of Home Restaurant fortunate enough to have had this meatloaf. Since then, I have made this many times for my family and it is always wonderful. Sometimes I just make the meatloaf with the sauce and mushrooms without enveloping it in the pastry and it is absolutely wonderful. I have always wanted to find the perfect meatloaf and this is it."
"Very good. The sauce really made it."
"This is the best meat loaf ever! My husband doesn't like meat loaf but he loves this. I had this at the Taste of Home restaurant along with several friends, and we all agreed that this meat loaf is a winner! The sauce is to die for."
"This was delicious. Everyone loved it. The only change I made was increasing the cooking time to 90 minutes."
"This is my husband's absolute favourite meat loaf recipe. Everyone who tries it, loves it. While it looks impressive, it's actually easy to assemble. We make it often."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.