My Mom's Meat Loaf Wellington Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 package (17.30 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- MADEIRA SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Dash cloves
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or beef broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs, ketchup, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Sprinkle with onion and bread crumbs; mix gently. Shape into two loaves, about 9 in. x 3 in.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet into an 18-in. x 16-in. rectangle. Invert meat loaves and place in center of each pastry; fold short sides of pastry over loaf. Fold long sides over loaf and pastry; seal seams.
- 3. Place, seam side down, on a rack in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Beat remaining egg; brush over pastry. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
- 4. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Stir in the consomme, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, browning sauce if desired and cloves. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in wine or broth.
- 5. In a small skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender. Serve the mushrooms and sauce with meat loaf slices. Yield: 2 meat loaves (5-6 servings each) and about 2-1/2 cups sauce.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 481 calories, 26 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 1,014 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.