- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix chili sauce and ketchup. In a large bowl, combine Rice Krispies, onion, green pepper, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; stir in half of the chili sauce mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer beef mixture to an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Make a shallow indentation down center of loaf. Spread remaining chili sauce mixture over loaf, being sure to fill indentation.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; use a turkey baster to remove drippings every 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for My Mom's Best Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"My family has been quite underwhelmed by my previous efforts at making meatloaf. But when I tried this recipe on them, they couldn't get enough. I now get frequent requests for this meatloaf, which according to them , is the best they have ever had."
"I thought this meatloaf was the best meatloaf I have ever (and I really mean ever) made. I can not eat gluten due to dietary restrictions and I thought I would give this one a try. I used the Kelloggs gluten free rice Krispies. It was similar to my old recipe that used bread crumbs. I did use a little more than 2 pounds of meat. It was also 90% lean. My husband raved about this meatloaf. He is very picky and not loose with food compliments. I would recommend that you follow the directions and suction out the grease quite frequently. If you don't I think the loaf will be too mushy. I did not have any trouble with it being too much cereal. I couldn't even tell there were rice krispies in it. It was really very good."
"just like my own Mom made."
"Extreme flavor and a nice departure from a standard meatloaf! I even used 93/7 lean meat! I added 2 loaves of garlic and sautéed the vegetables prior to placing them in the mix."
"Meatloaf is a mainstay at my house, and I think I have made at least ten variations over the years. This one comes very close to being our favorite. I used a combination of ground lean beef and ground pork, used two eggs, did not add the salt, added a tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. I used a glass loaf pan as shown in the picture, but not mentioned in the recipe. Perfecto! As a volunteer field editor, I am happy to recommend this recipe.. and, no, you cannot taste the Rice Krispies.. they do help to absorb some of the extra drippings."