- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix chili sauce and ketchup. In a large bowl, combine Rice Krispies, onion, green pepper, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; stir in half of the chili sauce mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer beef mixture to an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Make a shallow indentation down center of loaf. Spread remaining chili sauce mixture over loaf, being sure to fill indentation.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; use a turkey baster to remove drippings every 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for My Mom's Best Meat Loaf
"Made a pretty good tasting meatloaf. The Rice Krispies were a little odd, but you couldn't tell they were there. Not sure why they are even necessary. Maybe I'll try this with breadcrumbs and see if it turns out the same or better. We all liked it, but not the best meatloaf I've made. I really liked the chili sauce in this recipe."
"This meat loaf is so tasty! Definitely worth making.- Theresa"
"Made this last night. Hysterical hearing the snap, crackle & pop when mixing! Delicious! Made recipe exact, but did add a second egg. Loved the tang of the chili & ketchup sauce, very moist meatloaf. You do not taste the rice krispies or even the cheese. Thanks for sharing Kelly!"
"This was very tasty. The only change I made, which was minor, was to use grated Italian cheese blend. The meatloaf was moist and flavorful and my family enjoyed it."
"I'm giving this five stars just to balance out the review by the person who didn't make it but who wants to complain that it has too many carbs. Come on people, if it's not something you would ever make, don't review it! Sounds really good to me!"
"This is a basic, nice satisfying meatloaf recipe, but I wouldn't say extraordinary. I added about a half teaspoon of dried savory to give it a little complexity. Got a big kick out of the rice krispies going "snap, crackle, pop" as I mixed all the ingredients together. Tried it out on my husband and mother-in-law, and they both had two big helpings. Surrounded the meatloaf with quartered potatoes and mixed vegetables, and mixed some chili sauce with an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and poured that over the potatoes and vegs. Everything baked together, and it was pretty tasty."
"My husband doesn't care for meatloaf - he liked this one! I did sub finely chopped mushrooms (had on hand )for the Rice Krispies and grated 5 cheese blend for the mozzarella (had on hand). Baked, uncovered, in a 9x9 pan for 70 minutes. Made for 4 adults. Everyone enjoyed the flavor."
"Delicious! This will be my new favorite meat loaf recipe. I'm thinking the left overs are going to make a great sandwich too!"
"That is full of carbs and a waste of calories! Hello, Cereal! Not!"