The Rice Krispies used in this recipe are my mom’s secret ingredient. While they may seem odd or out-of-place, they serve to help hold the meat loaf together. Once cooked, no one realizes they were even there. —Kelly Simmons, Hopkinsville, Kentucky
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix chili sauce and ketchup. In a large bowl, combine Rice Krispies, onion, green pepper, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; stir in half of the chili sauce mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer beef mixture to an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Make a shallow indentation down center of loaf. Spread remaining chili sauce mixture over loaf, being sure to fill indentation.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; use a turkey baster to remove drippings every 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as My Mom's Best Meat Loaf in Taste of Home April/May 2014
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for My Mom's Best Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review