My Mom's Best Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix chili sauce and ketchup. In a large bowl, combine Rice Krispies, onion, green pepper, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; stir in half of the chili sauce mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer beef mixture to an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Make a shallow indentation down center of loaf. Spread remaining chili sauce mixture over loaf, being sure to fill indentation.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; use a turkey baster to remove drippings every 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for My Mom's Best Meat Loaf
Sort By :
Meatloaf is a mainstay at my house, and I think I have made at least ten variations over the years. This one comes very close to being our favorite. I used a combination of ground lean beef and ground pork, used two eggs, did not add the salt, added a tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. I used a glass loaf pan as shown in the picture, but not mentioned in the recipe. Perfecto! As a volunteer field editor, I am happy to recommend this recipe.. and, no, you cannot taste the Rice Krispies.. they do help to absorb some of the extra drippings.
I made this exactly as written and it is excellent. My husband, who does not usually care for meat loaf so I don't make it often, ate three slices. I'm so glad to find one he likes because it is one of my favorites.
This is the best meat loaf ever!!!
I just made this for dinner last and my family fell in love with it. Very tasty, and the Rice Crispies are an interesting touch. The chili sauce topping was the big hit, but we all love that flavor so I knew they'd love it. Great job!!!!
very good, I mixed 1 lb beef with 1 lb venison burger, so I had very little fat to drain out. It had so much stuff in it, it probably should have had 2 eggs. I had to cook mine for an extra 20 minutes to get it to the proper temp. It didn't stay together very well, but it was delicious!!!
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Beef Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >