- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix chili sauce and ketchup. In a large bowl, combine Rice Krispies, onion, green pepper, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; stir in half of the chili sauce mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer beef mixture to an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Make a shallow indentation down center of loaf. Spread remaining chili sauce mixture over loaf, being sure to fill indentation.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; use a turkey baster to remove drippings every 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for My Mom's Best Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"I thought this meatloaf was the best meatloaf I have ever (and I really mean ever) made. I can not eat gluten due to dietary restrictions and I thought I would give this one a try. I used the Kelloggs gluten free rice Krispies. It was similar to my old recipe that used bread crumbs. I did use a little more than 2 pounds of meat. It was also 90% lean. My husband raved about this meatloaf. He is very picky and not loose with food compliments. I would recommend that you follow the directions and suction out the grease quite frequently. If you don't I think the loaf will be too mushy. I did not have any trouble with it being too much cereal. I couldn't even tell there were rice krispies in it. It was really very good."
"just like my own Mom made."
"Extreme flavor and a nice departure from a standard meatloaf! I even used 93/7 lean meat! I added 2 loaves of garlic and sautéed the vegetables prior to placing them in the mix."
"Meatloaf is a mainstay at my house, and I think I have made at least ten variations over the years. This one comes very close to being our favorite. I used a combination of ground lean beef and ground pork, used two eggs, did not add the salt, added a tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. I used a glass loaf pan as shown in the picture, but not mentioned in the recipe. Perfecto! As a volunteer field editor, I am happy to recommend this recipe.. and, no, you cannot taste the Rice Krispies.. they do help to absorb some of the extra drippings."
"I made this exactly as written and it is excellent. My husband, who does not usually care for meat loaf so I don't make it often, ate three slices. I'm so glad to find one he likes because it is one of my favorites."