When I made these cookies for my boys while they were growing up, it was a real challenge to keep them away from the kitchen to let these cookies cool. I still make these mouthwatering morsels for my "boys" today. —Ardys Smith, Palo Alto, California
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 5 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Beat in oats and coconut.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Break each candy bar into 12 pieces; press a chocolate piece into the center of each warm cookie. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as My Kids' Favorite Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2009, p49
Reviews for My Kids' Favorite Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review