My Favorite Rice Salad Recipe
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1. Combine rice, beans and onion. In a separate bowl, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, relish and chili powder and salt if desired. Toss with rice mixture. Cover and chill for several hours. Just before serving, stir in green pepper. Yield: 8 side-dish servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (without added salt) equals 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat; also, 239 calories, 201 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 40 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 7 gm fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.