This rice salad came from my mother's personal cookbook. I'm not sure where she found it, but it sounds like a New Orleans-type of dish to me. I like to make it for special occasions. It tastes especially good with barbecued meats. It also goes well with turkey dishes...and it's nutritious!
Recommended: 20 Favorite Thanksgiving Sides
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Combine rice, beans and onion. In a separate bowl, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, relish and chili powder and salt if desired. Toss with rice mixture. Cover and chill for several hours. Just before serving, stir in green pepper. Yield: 8 side-dish servings.
Originally published as My Favorite Rice Salad in Reminisce July/August 1991, p35
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for My Favorite Rice Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review