- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 package (12 ounces) hot dog buns, split
- Finely chopped red onion
- Yellow mustard
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes; drain. Add next 10 ingredients; simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place in buns and top with chili, red onion and yellow mustard. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for My Favorite Chili Dogs
"My family and I loved these! Easy to make and delicious. The chili was t spicy but a bit sweet, yum! My only complaint was that the sauce was a bit watery/runny. Next time we I'll add half the amount of water called for."
"So much fun to make! The kids enjoyed making the easy chili and grilling the dogs. I added black beans, and a can of green Chiles to the meat. Yum!"
"The chili tastes more like sloppy joes and much too acidic. Disappointing..."
"This chili is not good at all! It is vinegary and tasteless! So disappointed! I guess chili is different in Texas than it is in New York."
"I made no changes to the chili itself, but I did forgot to line the insides of the roll with mustard, will have to remember that for next time. My guys aren't into chili, and I'd considered reducing the recipe, but I'm glad I didn't. I froze the remaining chili in single person portions."