The very thought of a hot dog dressed in chili makes me giddy. To get that straight-from-the-ballpark taste, I combine ketchup, mustard, chili and pepper sauce. —Patricia Pauling, Adams, New York
Recommended: 65 One-Dish Dinners That Make Cleanup a Breeze
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 package (12 ounces) hot dog buns, split
- Finely chopped red onion
- Yellow mustard
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes; drain. Add next 10 ingredients; simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place in buns and top with chili, red onion and yellow mustard. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as My Favorite Chili Dogs in Taste of Home June/July 2016, p11
Reviews for My Favorite Chili Dogs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2016
"The chili tastes more like sloppy joes and much too acidic. Disappointing..."
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2016