“After having a burger similar to this at a diner years ago, I tried to lighten it up without losing the great flavors. Now I can enjoy one more often without feeling guilty!” -Kristen Swihart – Perrysburg, Ohio
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir mushrooms and onion over medium heat until onion is golden brown. Grill rolls for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Spread rolls with cream cheese; top with burgers and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as My Favorite Burger in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p50
Reviews for My Favorite Burger
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review