My Favorite Bran Muffins Recipe
After trying dozens of bran muffin recipes, I developed this one myself, and have used it again and again! These muffins are easy to make and convenient, since you can prepare the batter days ahead of time. When we're expecting company, I pour the prepared batter into tins and have hot muffins ready by the time the coffee's perked.
- 1-1/4 cups All-Bran
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. Combine the eggs, honey, molasses, oil, buttermilk and boiling water; mix well with dry ingredients. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Batter may be made ahead and stored in refrigerator for up to 1 month. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 185 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 228 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC