My Best Oatmeal Cake Recipe
My Best Oatmeal Cake is a super-moist bundt cake infused with cinnamon and sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar. “It was one of my mother’s greatest recipes; I started making it when I was about 12,” says Phyllis.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. Place oats in a small bowl; add boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add oat mixture and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture and beat until combined.
- 3. Pour into an 8-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice (calculated without confectioners' sugar) equals 296 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC