My Best Oatmeal Cake is a super-moist bundt cake infused with cinnamon and sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar. “It was one of my mother’s greatest recipes; I started making it when I was about 12,” says Phyllis.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place oats in a small bowl; add boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add oat mixture and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture and beat until combined.
- Pour into an 8-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as My Best Oatmeal Cake in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p17
Reviews for My Best Oatmeal Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review