- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound fully cooked Spanish chorizo links, sliced
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups instant brown rice
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and ham; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Add chicken to pan; cook 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes, broth, peppers, onion, Cajun seasoning and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender.
- Return to a boil; stir in rice and shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 7-9 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for My Best-Ever Jambalaya
"Quite tasty! I omitted the ham and increased the amounts of the sausage (I used turkey sausage), chicken, and shrimp (I bought precooked and added it after I cooked the rice with the meat and vegetables). I also cut the amount of Creole seasoning in half and omitted the hot sauce since my husband doesn't like spicy food (I then added hot sauce to my own serving). Definitely will make this again."
"My husband and I (plus my brother-in-law who was on the receiving end of leftovers) loved this recipe. Also, the fact that it was a one-pot dish made the cooking and cleanup so easy. NOTE: My Mom always taught me to cook a recipe as written the first time; however, in this case, I had 2 - 14 ounce cans of Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes on hand, so I used those instead of 1 - 28 ounce can of plain diced tomatoes adding extra flavor and spice."
"My husband & I really liked this recipe. I don't like shrimp so I cooked it on the side & added it to the bowls. I also could not find chorizo in our store so I used andoille sausage instead. Was very tasty."