Mustard Potatoes Au Gratin
These rich and creamy potatoes taste great with a variety of meats.
—Tangee Thaler, Silver Lake, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan, cook onions in 1 tablespoon butter for 2 minutes
- or until tender. Stir in the cream, mustard and remaining butter.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce hear; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in half of the cheese until melted. Remove
- from the heat. In a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer a
- third of the potatoes; top with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers
- twice; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 25-30
- minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes
- before serving.
- Yield: 12 servings.