- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared mustard
- 4 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Spread mustard over both sides of fillets; coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fillets, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters White Blend CA, a crisp flavorful wine with hints of citrus. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $69.99. Order Now
Reviews for Mustard Fried Catfish
Sort By :
I made some adjustments to the recipe, I used salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It was much more flavorful.
This was okay. Not overly flavorful. I'm not used to frying fish, and now I see how it does eliminate the overly powerful "fishy" taste that usually results from baking it. I ate it with hot sauce and that of course gave it some flavor.