This easy-to-prepare side dish brings me rave reviews whenever I prepare it for the holidays. Even when I double the recipe, my family eats every bite.
- 2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add wine or broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Combine the flour, sour cream, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; stir into mushrooms. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly. Transfer to a shallow serving dish. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mushrooms Au Gratin in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p116
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mushrooms Au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review