Mushroom Wild Rice Dish Recipe
With its nutty texture and visual appeal, you’ll turn to this hearty side whenever a rice dish is in order. I’ve served this for more than 30 years and, over time, have learned to make enough for leftovers to be sent home with family members.—Virginia Peter, Winter, Wisconsin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 55 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Saute the mushrooms, onion and almonds in drippings until vegetables are tender; stir into rice mixture. Add bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 173 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 568 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC