Mushroom Wild Rice Dish Recipe
With its nutty texture and visual appeal, you’ll turn to this hearty side whenever a rice dish is in order. I’ve served this for more than 30 years and, over time, have learned to make enough for leftovers to be sent home with family members.—Virginia Peter, Winter, Wisconsin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 55 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Saute the mushrooms, onion and almonds in drippings until vegetables are tender; stir into rice mixture. Add bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Wild Rice in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p50
Reviews for Mushroom Wild Rice Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2010
This is a very nice recipe. I used canned mushrooms as I did not have fresh mushrooms on hand. Also I used a brown and wild rice mix since I was out of plain wild rice.