This is one of our foods to eat while watching football games. It really warms us up.—Patricia Maly, Mokena, Illinois
- 1 can (49 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine broth, carrots, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients; cook for 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Yield: 11 servings (about 2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Mushroom Barley Soup in Country Woman January/February 1998, p36
Reviews for Mushroom Veggie Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review