Mushroom Turnovers Recipe
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in flour until well blended. Shape pastry into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the sour cream, flour, salt and thyme. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls; place on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten into 3-in. circles. In a small bowl, beat the egg and water; brush over pastry.
- Place about 1 teaspoon mushroom filling in the center of each circle. Fold pastry over and seal edges. Brush tops with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Mushroom Turnovers
Sort By :
"Great flavor! I used fresh thyme."
"When I was making these and saw the amount of salt called for I thought it was way too much for only a half pound of mushrooms, (and I like my salt) so I cut it down to around 1/2 tsp. I didn't really measure it but I was right, the original recipe would have been too salty. The filling was good with the decreased salt but the dough was very bland so the next time I made them, I added salt, marjoram and thyme to the dough and it was much better. I added minced minced garlic to the mushrooms and onions and instead of salt, used either Everglades Seasoning (Monkey Dust lol) or Tony Chachere's for a little zing."
"These are very tasty! And they are great hot or cold. If you want to warm them back up after refrigerating, place them back in the oven-microwaving will make the crust soft."
"These are very delicious and never last long with my husband around. The thyme really boosts up the flavor and makes them a perfect savory snack."