Mushroom Tomato-Basil Soup Recipe
"My husband and I have never been fond of tomato soup, but we think this one is out of this world," says Chris Nelson from Alliance, Ohio. "Since a friend gave me the recipe a while back, I've made a batch every week. It's good as an appetizer or paired with a sandwich or salad at lunchtime."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, combine flour and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Return mushroom mixture to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 95 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 506 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC