Mushroom Tomato-Basil Soup Recipe
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, combine flour and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Return mushroom mixture to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 95 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat
Reviews for Mushroom Tomato-Basil Soup
"This is excellent! Even my son, who doesn't like tomatoes, devours it! I've made it many times."
"The flavor was good, but it just didn't look very appetizing."