"My husband and I have never been fond of tomato soup, but we think this one is out of this world," says Chris Nelson from Alliance, Ohio. "Since a friend gave me the recipe a while back, I've made a batch every week. It's good as an appetizer or paired with a sandwich or salad at lunchtime."
Recommended: 25 Fresh Basil Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, combine flour and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return mushroom mixture to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Mushroom Soup in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p17
Reviews forMushroom Tomato-Basil Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2016
"This is excellent! Even my son, who doesn't like tomatoes, devours it! I've made it many times."
Reviewed Feb. 21, 2011
"The flavor was good, but it just didn't look very appetizing."