Mushroom-Swiss Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) mini penne pasta
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1-1/4 cups grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream; heat through. Stir in the cheeses, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in bacon.
- Drain pasta; toss with mushroom mixture and sauce. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Combine the bread crumbs, parsley and melted butter; sprinkle over mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mushroom-Swiss Mac & Cheese(9)
Sort By :
Great recipe! Thank you !! Only change I made was using Italian Panko Crumbs on top, but that was simply a personal preference. Delicious !! A definite "keeper"
This is a great recipe. I don't care for pasta so I substituted rice. I used 2 cups rice/4 cups water. It made the perfect amount of rice for this dish. I didn't use the topping and it was still wonderful. I will consider adding broccoli next time.
I made this last night and it was very good. Total comfort food.
I added some sauteed red and green pepper for color. I also added a few shots of Franks Hot Sauce to the cheese sauce.
doeiu do a search for Gnocchi. I just did and 23 possibles came up. Maybe it is one of them.
I agree. No where does it say "healthy!" I would definitely make it again for my family, a special occasion or for a potluck. I love the idea of adding chicken to make it a main dish. Next time I'll try it that way and forget the dessert!
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >