- 1 package (16 ounces) mini penne pasta
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1-1/4 cups grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream; heat through. Stir in the cheeses, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in bacon.
- Drain pasta; toss with mushroom mixture and sauce. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Combine the bread crumbs, parsley and melted butter; sprinkle over mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mushroom-Swiss Mac & Cheese
"I made this recipe for Thanksgiving last year and wow! This was absolutely delicious and I will admit it came as shock to me since I was use to a more traditional mac and cheese but wanted to try something different than my mom's recipe and was not disappointed. But this is going down in my recipe book for the holidays as a go to from now on because this was better than my mom's."
"It was good but I would bake covered . It really dried out and didn't look like the picture. I know with all that cream and cheese how could it dry out right.... but it did. It is really heavy and hard to think of eating it when I was making the sauce.. wow Don't think I would make again but glad I tried it."
"Rich, decadent and delicious. I added canned tuna just for fun and everyone loved it."
"That was a good recipe and will make it again. Next time I will add more chicken and maybe a little broccoli. But love the taste of the mushrooms and the cheesse sauce."
"ROFLMAO!!! AUNTIE1955 You made my morning start out just right!!! Thanks for the belly laughs! Haven't made this yet, found the recipe in my "inbox" this morning when I opened my email. But you can bet your sweet bottoms I'll be making it!!! Not only does it look like a fantastic recipe but just the comments and humor would make me want to try this! My mom and I are the cooks that believe everything "tastes better with butter" , thank you Paula Dean ;) To hell with healthy, I want MMMMMMM..... TASTY!!!! LOL!!!"