Mushroom-Stuffed Pork Tenderloin Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and porcini mushrooms to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, make a lengthwise slit down the center of the pork to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open meat so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/8-in. thickness. Remove plastic wrap; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- 3. Crumble the sausage into a large skillet; add 2 cups shiitake mushrooms and onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread crumbs, 3 teaspoons parsley, rosemary and sage.
- 4. Drain porcini mushrooms, reserving liquid. Chop mushrooms; stir into sausage mixture along with 3 tablespoons soaking liquid. Spoon stuffing down center of pork; bring long sides over stuffing to close. Tie at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string; secure ends with toothpicks.
- 5. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- 6. For sauce, in a small saucepan, saute remaining shiitake mushrooms in butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually add broth and 1/4 cup mushroom soaking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the remaining salt, pepper and parsley. Serve with pork. Yield: 4 servings (1 cup sauce).
1 each: 333 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 886mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein .
Reviews for Mushroom-Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
"My husband and I loved it! I did use a cheaper mushroom than the shiitake and it still tasted heavenly. The sauce makes it extra scrumptious"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.