- within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open meat so it lies flat; cover with
- plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/8-in. thickness. Remove plastic wrap;
- sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Crumble the sausage into a large skillet; add 2 cups shiitake
- mushrooms and onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer
- pink. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread crumbs, 3 teaspoons
- parsley, rosemary and sage.
- Drain porcini mushrooms, reserving liquid. Chop mushrooms; stir into
- sausage mixture along with 3 tablespoons soaking liquid. Spoon
- stuffing down center of pork; bring long sides over stuffing to
- close. Tie at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string; secure ends with
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at
- 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads
- 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, saute remaining shiitake mushrooms in
- butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- Gradually add broth and 1/4 cup mushroom soaking liquid. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the
- remaining salt, pepper and parsley. Serve with pork. Yield: 4
- servings (1 cup sauce).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 333 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 886 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.