Mushroom-Stuffed Cheeseburgers Recipe
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon Strips, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir mushrooms, onion and peppers in bacon drippings until tender. Using slotted spoon, remove to a small bowl; cool completely. Stir in bacon.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine beef, steak sauce and seasoned salt, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 16 thin patties. Top eight of the patties with cheese, folding cheese to fit within 3/4 inch of edge. Spread with mushroom mixture. Top with remaining patties, pressing edges to enclose filling.
- 3. Grill burgers, uncovered, over medium-high heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer inserted in meat portion reads 160°. Serve on rolls. Yield: 8 servings.
1 burger: 418 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 653mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Mushroom-Stuffed Cheeseburgers
"very easy recipe. I did make a small change. Rather than put the mixture in the middle of two patties, I just made a layer on top of one, Just to cut calories a little. Oh, I also used swiss cheese instead....its what I already had and wanted to use it up."
"loved these. had such a good flavor like a steak like a steak burger."
"Easy and great tasting burgers! I halved this recipe for two of us for two night's dinner. The only change was that I kept the bacon @ 2 strips. Next time I'll add an extra slice of provolone to each burger and double the steak sauce and seasoning salt for 1 lb of lean ground beef. These can be made ahead, wrapped in between wax paper and wrapped in suran until you're ready to grill. Probably one of the best stuffed burgers we've had. KEEPER!"
"Wonderful burger recipe! I halved the ingredients since I'm only cooking for 2 and it turned out marvelous. I also used shredded cheese that I had on hand and flatbread to save a bit on the calorie count. Will definitely make again."
"This is a great burger! The recipe as-is is fantastic! The second time I made it I switched out the peppers for bacon and green chile. Delicious! Lots of ways to change this up, but the original recipe is really good!"
"These were amazing! I'm not much for hamburgers and I hate cheeseburgers, but when I saw this recipe in the magazine I knew it had my husband's name all over it. Believe it or not, I loved these too! The provolone cheese was perfect, not overpowering at all. Mr. Picky didn't even mind the onions and peppers in it. I bet if you make this just once, you'll be hooked. And like me, you'll start thinking of other delicious things to "stuff" them with --- hmm, jalapenos? Shredded cabbage, carrots, or zucchinis? Thanks for adding one more thing to my arsenal in the War To Get Mr. Picky To Eat More Veggies. :~)"
"I grilled out this weekend and made this our main dish. The flavors of the fresh mushrooms, peppers, bacon and onions really set off this burger. I already use provolone cheese a lot. The Kaiser rolls also made a world of difference. I'm going to make a variation of this with some of the different spicier peppers from my garden."
"delicious although I think I cut the mushrooms too small...next time I will keep the mushrooms ,onions and peppers larger so the don't cook down so much...great recipe"
"We made this and it was really delicious. Will make again."
"My family loved these!!! Tons of flavor!!"
"Delish! Will not cook the mushrooms, onion & peppers to tender to keep a little "crunch" in them, so the flavors don't "melt" into the meat. These will be made many times, I'm sure."
"Our family loved this recipe. I am always up for a great cheeseburger and this one certainly fit the bill. I used 93% lean beef, reduced fat cheese and served it on a lettuce leaf instead of a bun to reduce the calories and it was excellent. I had frozen half of the burgers to get a second meal out of them for my family and just cooked them up last night in my grill pan, they were just as good as the first night we had them. I had never thought to put steak sauce in with my hamburgers before, what a great addition!"
"These burgers were fantastic! My family loved every bite! I wouldn't change a thing but I am definately going to make more stuffed burgers. Highly recomend you try these at your next BBQ!"
"I made these and I thought they were just "ok"."
"This recipe was delicious. But next time will chill prior to grilling. Wow well worth the effort. Definitely not your ordinary cheeseburger!"
"These burgers were absolutely incredible! You are guaranteed to be the envy of your friends if you serve these burgers at your next Backyard BBQ! The burgers were juicy and the bacon, peppers, onions and cheese gave them just the kick needed to make you CRAVE THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN! I am adding this one to my list of summer favorites!!!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.